Mexican Educational Institute located in Ciudad Guzmán, Mexico is looking for a Native English EFL Teacher (English as a Foreign Language).
About the employer:
It is a school with appr. 400 students, having also a nursery, a preschool, an elementary and Junior High school. They teach five different age groups, divided into two types of systems – semester and bimester. Class sizes are typically around a dozen students, but never more than 16 students per class. They understand that it is not very easy for foreigners to work in Mexico, hence they try their best to make them feel comfortable and to help them getting used to life and work in Mexico.
The staff is made up of a mix of both foreign (from various English speaking countries) and Mexican teachers. The institute currently rents two houses, one is a four bedroom house about two blocks from the school for teachers who wish to live there. New teachers may choose to live in the house with other teachers, or look for their own private house.
Cd. Guzmán with a relaxed and traditional atmosphere, it is a small, quiet town with about 140,000 inhabitants, located in Jalisco, near Guadalajara (about 1 ½ hours) the second largest city of Mexico and about 1 ½-2 hours bus drive to the closest beach. People are extremely friendly, and foreigners normally do not have any trouble making friends within the first couple of weeks. The city offers many eco-tourist activities, such as cycling, hiking, motor-cross, rappelling, swimming, among other things, as well as one or two night spots.
- Make and send lesson plans on time.
- Follow up on student development.
- Give conversation classes, workshops and tutoring sessions as needed by the Institute.
- Always speak English in school.
- Attend meetings and workshops as assigned.
- Communication and team work with EFL coordination, head coordination, and other EFL teachers.
- Be in class at least 10 minutes before the class starts.
- Maintain a good relationship with students.
- Hourly salary payment: Bimester classes (6 hrs./cl) $95-110 MXN; Saturday Classes (5 hrs./cl) $108-120 MXN;
Workshops / Conversations $90-105 MXN;
- An average teacher, working 5 classes, makes about $8,300.00 – $9,580.00 pesos a month to start after taxes. Teachers normally work between 4 and 5 classes, which can work out to between 20 – 27 hours a week, depending on the type of classes they teach. If you want to earn more money, you can teach some private classes, TEFL
classes so you can make around 15,000 to 20,000.00 pesos monthly
- Extra payments for workshops, tutoring sessions and meetings.
- Eligible for retention and evaluation bonuses when the bimester ends (two months).
- Paid vacations after passing the probation period to all teachers (two weeks in Christmas and two weeks on Easter break).
- All national holidays that fall during on a normal school day are also paid.
- The school will assist with the application process for the visa by taking care of all the paperwork.
- Provision of food at the beginning of the stay at school from Monday to Thursday, from 2:30pm to 4:00pm.
- Free lodging (the house is completely furnished and each teacher has their own room and bathroom): as long as he or she teaches 2 intensive and 1 saturday classes. Once in the house, you will not be asked to leave unless you fail to abide by any of these terms or rules, cause extreme chaos or trouble in the house, if you work less than full time, if you are not able to teach in the schedule of English classes which are needed, if your evaluation is poor or if
you stop working with the institute.
- Teachers will be responsible for the house services expenses like gas, internet, light, cable, cleaning (once a week).
- After the first year of working there's a support with flight expenses up to $300 USD, yearly.
- Provision of health care (either local Mexican insurance or travelers insurance) to all full time teachers.
- To have food and stay there has to be 100% of flexibility in intensive morning, afternoon, night and saturday courses for adults and teens.
- Min. length of working period: January-July 2019
- Class Hours:
Saturday class: Advanced classes, 9:00 am – 2:00 pm
Intensive class adults: Monday to Thursday:
Adults classes ADVANCE - 5:00 pm – 9:30 pm
Optional: Private class in the morning or on Fridays
- Recruitment process:
Recruiter: revision of resume, questionnaire, 1-minute-self-presentation video in English
Client: sample lesson plan + online interview or via phone